The Ford Powerstroke 6.0L is probably the most infamous for being defective, all of the fashions from 2003-2007 needs to be prevented.
The 6.4L mannequin from 2008, the 7.3L fashions from 1994 and 2001-2004, and the 6.4L fashions from 2011-2014 are additionally problematic.
Under, you’ll discover extra about what years are Ford diesel engines to keep away from and why.
Ford Diesel Engines To Keep away from
The Ford Powerstroke diesel engines are extremely popular.
However on account of some design errors, some years of diesel engines needs to be prevented. That’s as a result of they’re susceptible to frequent failure and require fixed repairs.
Let’s get a primary thought in regards to the fashions and what years to keep away from.
|12 months||Engine Capability||Issues||Which yr to purchase|
|2003-2007||Powerstroke 6.0L||Head gasket failures, FICM failures, oil cooler, EGR cooler, EGR valve, and VGT points||N/A|
|2008||Powerstroke 6.4L||DPF points, a leaking radiator, cracked pistons, oil cooler points, poor gas financial system, EGR cooler concern||2010|
|2011-2014||Powerstroke 6.7L||Radiator Leaks, EGR Cooler Clogged, EGT Sensor Malfunction, Turbocharger Issues, Injection Pump Issues.||2015 and onwards|
|1994, 2001-2004||Powerstroke 7.3L||Failure Of The CPS, Turbocharger Up-Pipe Leaks, Noise, Gas Filter Housing Leaks, EBPV Failure.||1998-2000|
Now, let’s see what the issues are.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Years to Keep away from?
2003- 2007 fashions of the Ford Powerstroke 6.0L are unanimously notorious amongst Ford truck customers.
These fashions have a number of points that make them the worst Ford diesel engines. The problems of those engines are-
Supply: Diesel IQ
- Head Gasket Failures: The TTY head studs are susceptible to failure, inflicting the top gasket to fail too.
- Gas Injection Management Module Failure: Engine warmth and vibration negatively impression the FICM, inflicting it to overheat and fail ceaselessly.
- Oil Cooler Situation: The oil cooler will get clogged with particles, decreasing its effectivity and inflicting harm to the gas system and EGR cooler.
- EGR Cooler Situation: Much less coolant flows to the EGR cooler when the oil cooler is clogged. This causes it to overheat and probably ends in head gasket failure or coolant leaks.
- EGR Valve Situation: The EGR valve is weak to clogging from soot, which causes poor efficiency and requires frequent cleansing.
- VGT Points: Soot buildup within the VGT causes it to stay open, impacting throttle physique response and turbo spooling occasions.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.4L Years to Keep away from?
The 2008 Ford Powerstroke is the yr to keep away from if you wish to purchase a Ford 6.4L Powerstroke engine.
The homeowners of this truck have been compelled to do main repairs solely after driving 65,000 miles.
Supply: Black Water Engines
The devastating issues the homeowners of 6.4L Powerstroke confronted are-
- A Leaking Radiator: Radiators within the 6.4L engine made from plastic are susceptible to cracking, inflicting coolant leaks and engine overheating.
- DPF Points: Diesel particulate filter will get clogged, lowering engine energy and efficiency.
- Cracked Pistons: Pistons crack when the engine is pushed onerous for a very long time. Moreover, the manufacturing facility head bolts have a tendency to interrupt at round 600 RWHP on account of a design mistake made by Ford.
- Oil Cooler Points: The oil cooler fails repeatedly, inflicting engine overheating, and dear substitute.
- Poor Gas Financial system: The design concern causes the 6.4L engine to make use of extra gas in sluggish site visitors.
- EGR Cooler Situation: The EGR cooler concern from the 6.0L engine persists within the 6.4L engine.
Apart from these issues, the Powerstroke homeowners have additionally reported some much less widespread however pricey issues.
Like, because the chaffing of the high-pressure oil pump wires, leaking by way of the entrance cowl, acceleration points, clogging of the fuel-water separator, and so on.
For those who should get a Powerstroke 6.4L engine, go for the yr 2010.
Which Ford Powerstroke 6.7L Years to Keep away from?
The Powerstroke 6.7Ls have been first manufactured in 2011, and now there are three generations of engine fashions.
The primary era (2011-2014) fashions had some points that have been fastened within the later generations.
Supply: Diesel Army
The widespread points with the primary era were-
- Radiator Leaks: The Powerstroke 6.7L has two radiators and homeowners usually face issues with the first one. The radiator usually leaked inflicting the engine to overheat.
- EGR Cooler Clogged: The EGR cooler within the 6.7 model exists to fulfill emissions requirements, however it may grow to be clogged with carbon and trigger increased emissions, overheating, stalling, or engine failure.
- EGT Sensor Malfunction: The 6.7 Powerstroke engine has 4 EGT sensors, which might fail for varied causes, together with all 4 without delay.
- Turbocharger Issues: The Powerstroke 6.7L is a strong engine with excessive output. However it had a weak ceramic bearing that might break too usually beneath stress.
- Injection Pump Issues: Injection pump failure was a typical drawback within the first-generation 6.7 Powerstroke. It was brought on by way of the improper injection pump, the Bosch CP4.2, which was not appropriate for the engine.
Attempt to purchase the later generations of the Ford Powerstroke 6.7L when you desire this engine.
Which Ford Powerstroke 7.3L Years to Keep away from?
That is the primary ever diesel engine that Ford launched, again in 1994. Though 7.3Ls are extremely popular, it’s best to keep away from the 1994 and 2001-2004 fashions. The issues of those engine fashions are as follows-
Supply: Diesel IQ
- Failure Of The CPS (Camshaft Place Sensor): The 7.3L Powerstroke engine had points with the CPS. A failing CPS could cause the automobile to not begin or stall.
- Turbocharger Up-Pipe Leaks: This engine experiences failure with the turbocharger up-pipe, inflicting a lack of enhance and probably elevating exhaust fuel temperature.
- Noise: The 7.3L Powerstroke made an unusually loud noise, and the basis trigger remained unknown. Nevertheless, some individuals speculate that the split-shot injectors have been chargeable for this concern.
- Gas Filter Housing Leaks: The gas filter housing leaks on account of cracks within the gas bowl or filter housing. Most individuals might want to take their automobile to an expert for restore, as it may be troublesome to repair your self.
- EBPV Failure: Defective electrical connections could cause the EBPV to malfunction. When this occurs, beginning the automobile turns into troublesome, and backfiring could happen, posing a possible hazard to drivers.
When shopping for a Powerstroke 7.3L, it’s best to go for 1998-2000 fashions.
So, what years are Ford diesel engines to keep away from? You must now know the reply to this query.
Nonetheless, we advocate you analysis a automobile earlier than buying.
Ideally, have an expert carry out an inspection earlier than making a purchase order, particularly if it’s a used automobile.